Safety Anthony Harris said the Vikings hold "a special place with me" as he heads again toward unrestricted free agency again, this time after a disappointing season for the Vikings defense and Harris, who tied for the league lead in interceptions two years ago.
Harris, one of the Vikings' 10 unrestricted free agents this offseason, didn't have an interception and had a career-high 10 missed tackles, according to Pro Football Focus, while playing under the one-year franchise tag worth about $11.4 million.
"I've been here my entire career," Harris said Tuesday. "It's been great from everything down to the locker room to the executives, the coaches, to the city itself and how its treated me and my family. It definitely holds a special place with me."
Harris may have played his last Vikings game, given the team's limited salary cap space and leaguewide revenue shortfalls expected to shrink the 2021 cap. He declined to discuss what he'd be looking for to stay in Minnesota, where the 29-year-old developed into a reliable starter as a 2015 undrafted free agent out of Virginia.
"After going through it and being in this position [last year], you don't try to worry about anything that's going on," Harris said. "The season just ended. You want to take some time off to allow your body, your mind to kind of relax. Now, with everything going on in the world with COVID, I look forward to getting more in touch with my family and being around them some more and make sure everything is fine there. I'll let my agents handle everything."
Safety Harrison Smith said he's looking forward to seeing Harris be successful wherever he goes.
"You don't know how it's going to shake out," Smith said. "We still stay in contact. We will talk about things that normal people talk about, and then we'll talk about that stuff, too. No matter what, you always want to play with a guy like Anthony."
Hunter 'doing well'