
There's a near-bottomless number of reasons why I can't get enough of this Aug. 27, 1970 story from the Minneapolis Star.
For starters: I'd forgotten about the "midi," the calf-length skirt that was the fashion world's compromise between the miniskirt and the floor-length "maxi." Or that Dayton's had a women's apparel department called the "Out of Sight" shop, and that the shop, an apparent shoplifter's target, sold "Women's Lib" T-shirts (for $5!). Or that the store's 12th-floor Oak Grill restaurant, which opened in 1948, had originally been called the Men's Oak Grill, and that women were barred from dining there unless they were accompanied by a male escort. Or that the newspaper published the home addresses of people mentioned in stories. Or that the Star had a "Women's News" section. Or that a woman in the story expresses another woman's approval by saying that she "dug" it.
It goes on and on. Anyway, here's the story. It was writted by Star staff writer Sue Chastain, and the headline reads, "Women Served Easily at Once Men-Only Spot."
At noon Wednesday, approximately 25 women expecting a "confrontation" walked into Dayton's Oak Grill, were seated, and ordered hamburgers.
There was no "confrontation."
A blue-jeaned member of the group said she hand't expected any of the women to be refused admission, but was surprised that "they made no fuss about us at all."
A spokesman for Dayton's said the grill at one time served only men but that this has not been enforced for the last year. Any woman with or without escort should have been admitted, the spokesman said.
The grill was the scene of another women's liberation attack five months ago when protests from a group of women persuaded store officials to remove the "Reserved for Men" sign on the door.