The Gophers football game against Big Ten West-leading Northwestern that had been scheduled for Saturday is a no-go.
The football team will miss a second consecutive game dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak that has affected 47 players and staff, per an athletics department announcement. That's the largest spread in the Big Ten so far, with previous team shutdowns at Wisconsin and Maryland peaking at 30 cases. Ohio State and Michigan are also paused with COVID-19 issues, but the extent of the spread is unclear.
In all, 21 Gophers players and 26 staff have tested positive since Nov. 19.
"There's not a lot we can do about it. Nobody's doing anything wrong," Gophers coach P.J. Fleck told KFAN on Monday morning. "… We've had 18,000 positive cases over a two-day span recently in Minnesota. So I mean, it's definitely affecting the NFL, it's affecting college football and definitely affecting our football team."
Under Big Ten rules, the Northwestern game will go down as a "no contest" for both teams, just as last week's Wisconsin game did. The Gophers (2-3) have one regular-season game left on their schedule, a Dec. 12 trip to Nebraska, followed by a to-be-determined game Dec. 19, planned as an East Division matchup based on the standings.
Fleck said on the radio broadcast the team intends to play the Nebraska game, having already focused its (virtual) team meetings on that opponent. Fleck added the team has no set return date for practice, instead relying on the department's medical team for the go-ahead.
Even once the team has clearance, though, it will have to undergo a ramp-up period before full-scale training. Athletic director Mark Coyle said on WCCO radio Monday he hopes the team can start that process toward the end of this week, though the team will continue to hold meetings virtually for the rest of the season.
"We've had a high number of positive cases over the past week," Coyle said. "And fortunately over the past couple of days, those have dropped dramatically."