Gov. Tim Walz urged Minnesotans to stick with COVID-19 safety strategies of mask-wearing and social distancing heading into a Labor Day weekend that could have a "big impact" on the rise or fall of the pandemic in the state.
"Six months ago it was my hope that we would be ... going to the State Fair, watching high school football, gathering to watch the Gophers on Saturday, all of those things," Walz said Thursday. "Well, the virus has not allowed us to do that, and we have to remain vigilant. We have got to stick with this."
Walz echoed concerns expressed earlier in the week by Dr. Deborah Birx of the White House COVID-19 task force and state Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm that people are being complacent in gathering with family and friends, and that the virus is taking advantage of those opportunities to spread.
An indoor wedding in southwestern Minnesota with more than 275 guests violated state capacity requirements of no more than 250 people in indoor venues, said Kris Ehresmann, state infectious disease director.
That event has so far resulted in 56 known infections — with reports of other attendees suffering illnesses but refusing testing — of people from nine different counties who may have spread the virus to others as well.
Positive cases from that outbreak included educators and workers in long-term care and health care, she added.
The Minnesota Department of Health has reported 1,837 COVID-19 deaths and 78,123 infections with the novel coronavirus that causes the infectious disease. That includes seven COVID-19 deaths and 1,047 infections reported on Thursday — though health officials said the daily case total was artificially inflated by belated reporting of some tests by private labs.
Minnesota remains at a tenuous position as it enters its seventh month of the pandemic.