Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz proposed an array of modest adjustments to the state budget this year on Monday, focusing on public safety, children and safe drinking water.
Citing the sweeping changes made last year, Walz said his latest offering is restrained and focused. “We’re implementing life-changing programs like paid family and medical leave,” he said, adding, “This is a bonding year. It’s not a budget year.”
He described his smaller, supplemental budget proposal as focused on safety, children and water. “We’ll do this all by doing what we’ve done every single time, maintaining responsible balanced budgets,” he said.
DFL legislative leaders have urged caution this year as the extensive changes from the 2023 session settle into state law while Republicans have continued to accuse DFLers of spending too much.
In late February, the Minnesota Management and Budget Department announced a projected surplus of $3.7 billion, an increase of $1.3 billion over December projections. Officials also warned the state could sink into the red by $1.5 billion if Walz and the Legislature spend too much.
Walz said his proposal would leave $2 billion untouched in the budget to cushion a potential downturn. The state’s rainy day fund also is already fully funded at $2.9 billion.
The most expensive proposed item in the new budget is $45 million for a pilot of the child tax credit payment protection program. Approved last year, Minnesota is in the first year of its child tax credit for working families.
The proposed pilot program would allow participating families to opt-in for advance payments of their credits. Families would be able to keep the advance money, even if a parent took a better-paying job — up to a certain threshold depending on the household.