Gun-safety measures were slated for votes on the Minnesota House floor late Monday although it wasn’t clear if or when the Senate would consider the bills.
“We are the House. We are going to continue to do the work of the House,” state Rep. Kelly Moller, DFL-Shoreview, said at a news conference hours before the anticipated passage.
The House passed the first bill, which would create a duty to report a lost or stolen firearm to law enforcement within 48 hours. Failure to do so would be a petty misdemeanor.
A second bill would require firearms to be stored securely, and the third bill would prohibit straw purchases of firearms and make it a felony to do so. A straw purchaser buys a gun for someone who is ineligible to purchase one. That bill also would require annual reports on gun trafficking and ban binary triggers, which allow regular guns to become automatic. Those bills weren’t taken up Monday but are expected to come up for votes this week.
Gov. Tim Walz supports all three bills, so if they make it to him he will sign them, a spokeswoman said Monday.
But in the Senate, the DFL needs unanimity among its 34 members to overcome opposition to the bills by the 33-member Republican caucus. The DFL has a larger margin in the House and when asked if the bills could pass the Senate, Moller said to ask Republicans why they don’t support the measures.
The challenge with the Senate grew more complicated last week as Sen. Nicole Mitchell, DFL-Woodbury, was charged with first-degree burglary. She returned to the floor Monday with Republicans trying to bar her from voting. DFLers held them off on party-line votes, meaning Mitchell will be able to vote.
Even with her vote, it wasn’t clear that the DFL Senate will have the votes or the time to consider new gun measures. Sen. Grant Hauschild, DFL-Hermantown, is considered to be a pivotal vote. He has not indicated what he would support and did not respond to multiple requests for comment.