The political fallout from the massive federal food fraud investigation shifted Monday to state Education Commissioner Heather Mueller, who now finds herself at the center of the widening scandal.
Senate Majority Leader Jeremy Miller called on Mueller to resign for failing to swiftly shut down Feeding Our Future even though education officials had deep concerns about the nonprofit, which allegedly directed what federal authorities are calling the largest meal fraud case in the nation.
"As Minnesotans, we expect accountability for public officials who fail to protect the taxpayers' dollars," said Miller, R-Winona. "I have no choice but to call for the Commissioner to resign."
DFL Gov. Tim Walz's administration praised Mueller's office for urgently blowing the whistle and alerting the FBI, which led to 49 people being charged so far.
Officials at the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) declined to comment, referring questions to the governor's office, which did not directly address the calls for Mueller's resignation.
"MDE blew the whistle on this fraud scheme," a spokesperson for DFL Gov. Tim Walz said in a written response to questions. "They detected it early and worked diligently to stop it. MDE repeatedly urged the federal government to investigate and they partnered with the FBI to ensure accountability — even as they fought Feeding Our Future's sham lawsuit in court."
The scandal is focusing new attention and scrutiny on Mueller, who took on the state's top education job in 2021 and runs an agency with more than 450 employees. The department is charged with educating students across Minnesota, but was called on to administer rapidly changing requirements involving the federally funded meals program during the pandemic.
Seeking to gain a political edge, GOP's candidates for statewide office held back-to-back Capitol news conferences echoing Miller's call for Mueller to step down.