Thirty-five counts of animal cruelty against an East Bethel rancher have been dismissed after an Anoka County judge ruled that searches of Lowell Friday's property were conducted illegally.
The sudden conclusion of one of the most highly publicized cases of alleged animal abuse in Minnesota, in which 17 malnourished horses were seized last year, came as a shock Friday to authorities and animal-rights advocates alike.
"You're kidding," said Gina Benson of the advocacy group Standing Together for the Horses, who was at Friday's ranch last year when the first group of horses was seized by authorities.
"I don't know what to say," said Keith Streff, the investigator for the Animal Humane Society involved in the search.
Judge Sean Gibbs ruled that all evidence obtained in searches taken Aug. 29, Aug. 31 and Nov. 6, 2011, be suppressed. The judge then threw out the charges against Friday, 73, due to lack of probable cause.
Court documents paint a disturbing picture of horses that were grossly emaciated -- with ribs, pelvis, shoulders and spines nearly bursting through their skin. The horses were infested with lice and parasites. Their overgrown hooves were chipped and cracked. The horses were found by authorities in pens, deep in manure, with sharp, antiquated fencing. Their water was caked with algae, according to court documents.
One horse, Crystal, a paint filly, was so weak that her hindquarters collapsed when authorities tried to load her into a trailer. With a heart murmur from malnutrition, Crystal was nearly euthanized before veterinarians administered a steroid to give her enough strength to load into the trailer.
Friday's attorney, Robert Richman, disputed the characterization of his client's herd. Richman said only a minority of the herd was thin and that there was sufficient feed and water on the property. The horses were being treated for parasites and none showed signs of physical abuse, he said.