A recently filed lawsuit claims that a 56-year-old man was waiting for the bus — not protesting the police murder of George Floyd — when Minneapolis police fired a projectile at him from the Third Precinct roof.
More than three years later, the lawsuit contends, Abdi Edan Adam struggles with vision problems in his right eye and bears a conspicuous dent on his head. The math tutor living in Minneapolis said his injuries are "akin to the government-sponsored brutality he had sought refuge from in this country when fleeing Somalia."
Attorney Paul Applebaum filed the lawsuit last week in Hennepin County District Court, but the case has since moved to Minnesota's federal District Court. It seeks more than $1.5 million in damages from Minneapolis for violating Adam's civil rights for excessive, unlawful use of force. The city, the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) and eight unnamed officers are listed as defendants.
Minneapolis has paid millions of dollars to settle claims of police brutality or officer misconduct in the aftermath of Floyd's murder on May 25, 2020.
The day before protesters sent the Third Precinct up in flames, Adam, now 59, was in the vicinity of Minnehaha Avenue and Lake Street attempting to catch the bus home when he was struck, according to the lawsuit.
Applebaum in a statement said Adam was committing no crime and "utterly compliant."
"What the MPD officer did was a grotesque use of unwarranted deadly force. Unfortunately, this episode was just another example of decades of abuse by the MPD against the citizens of Minneapolis."
City spokesperson Casper Hill said in an email that the city is "declining any comment on this litigation at this time."