With his Gophers basketball career clouded by a third sexual assault complaint and an investigator's recommendation of expulsion, suspended center Reggie Lynch "categorically and vehemently" denies the allegations against him, and has requested an appeal hearing, his lawyer said Wednesday.
But attorney Ryan Pacyga said at a news conference that he did not know whether Lynch would follow through on his challenge to findings by the University of Minnesota, or even whether he would stay in school. "Any option is on the table right now," Pacyga said. "But he's eager to clear his name."
Lynch was not present as Pacyga made the announcement at a news conference in his office, where he said his client will have a difficult time proving his innocence at a time of the #MeToo movement and heightened awareness of sexual assault. He compared the current climate and Lynch's situation to the lack of due process for Japanese citizens sent to internment camps during World War II.
"We look back now and say, 'Oh my God, what were we doing? How wrong was that to assume that everyone was guilty and we'll lock them up and that's what we'll do?' "
Pacyga's media session in his downtown Minneapolis office came the day after a third accuser revealed an investigator in the U's Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) found Lynch responsible and recommended expulsion for sexual misconduct in an alleged assault on April 7, 2016.
The 6-foot-10 center and Big Ten defensive player of the year last season is in his final months of college eligibility. The basketball season ends in March and even Pacyga conceded that the appeals process could stretch well beyond that. Lynch remains with the basketball team, but is not allowed to play in games or travel with the Gophers.
"I'm cognizant of the options for Mr. Lynch, which is continue panel hearings or say enough is enough and explore other options," Pacyga said.
By the time Lynch played his first game with the Gophers in November 2016, he had already been accused of a sexual assault in May 2016. He was not charged in that case. During the 2016-17 season he was pivotal to the Gophers' on-court resurgence.