Democrats and Republicans in the Legislature are squaring off over opposing plans to distribute $667 million in federal aid to counties, cities and towns struggling with COVID-19.
Hurtling toward the final days of the legislative session, Senate Republicans have proposed divvying up the money based on a formula in which counties would get $174 per resident, partly shared among cities and towns within the counties. Democrats and some large metro county leaders oppose that plan, saying it disregards the virus' uneven impact on Minnesota communities.
"The result is that counties with zero cases would receive substantially more per capita than counties that are on the front lines of this struggle," Hennepin County Commissioner Jan Callison said.
The DFL majority in the House is rolling out its own proposal Wednesday. It would enable Hennepin and Ramsey counties, the state's main population centers, to hang on to a larger portion of federal aid. The bill's author, Rep. Paul Marquart, DFL-Dilworth, said it would also set aside $100 million for local governments to respond to emergencies later on.
The $667 million at stake is just a portion of the $1.87 billion the state received through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
The legislation to distribute money to local government on a per capita basis is sponsored by Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Vernon Center. She calls it one step in a three-step process to handle the federal dollars.
The GOP-led Senate unanimously passed the least controversial of those three measures Tuesday. It provides $333 million from the federal relief fund to cover expenses that would have come from the state's general fund. The Senate previously passed another measure that would give legislators more oversight over how the state uses federal dollars.
That has proved to be another sticking point in negotiations.