When Jerry Hammer recently took his old Trek bicycle to the shop for a tune-up, he was told at first it wouldn't be ready for 10 days. Then the clerk realized who Hammer is and said the bike would be ready the next morning.
"We've got to take care of our fair," the clerk said.
Hammer, the Minnesota Star Fair's general manager, and his staff are hoping the fair that opens Thursday in Falcon Heights will be closer to normal after COVID-19 forced the event to shut down in 2020 and reduced turnout in 2021. Those two years make for the most challenging chapter in Hammer's 25 years of running the fair, longer than any other State Fair general manager.
The year 2020 "wasn't fun for anybody," said Hammer, who rides his bike daily to the fairgrounds from his home in St. Paul's Como neighborhood and uses it to patrol the fairgrounds' 322 acres. "But when your business is bringing people together and that's the very thing you can't do, that puts you in a tough spot."
Fair officials this year have budgeted for an anticipated 12-day attendance of 1.7 million. That would be down from the last pre-pandemic year, 2019, when the fair set an attendance record of 2.1 million. But it would be up from 1.3 million last year, when COVID variants and wet weather held down attendance.
"We're not expecting a record year, we never do. So we budget income conservatively and are usually wrong on the low side," Hammer said.
That approach helped buffer the State Fair over the past two years. Though shutting down the event in 2020 created financial and organizational challenges, not one of the 80 employees on the permanent staff was furloughed or cut.
"Our priority had to be keeping our organization intact despite being out of business," Hammer said.