In the end, it took only a few hours to demolish Southways, the massive brick-and-stone Pillsbury estate that stood for almost a century on Lake Minnetonka.
The city of Orono issued a demolition permit this month, triggering a rash of media coverage and an outpouring of public sentiment for the historic home.
A last-minute pitch to save the house and convert it into a wedding venue didn't gain any traction. Southways, which has been seeking a buyer for more than a decade, finally found one. The property changed hands Monday and demolition began the next morning. By late afternoon, the site was a pile of rubble.
Southways' demise is part of a larger national picture of historic homes falling to the wrecking ball, according to writer Bette Hammel, a longtime Lake Minnetonka-area resident. Unlike houses in historic districts, such as St. Paul's Summit Avenue, Lake Minnetonka homes like Southways lack historic designation to protect them, she noted.
"It's all gone. It's such a tragedy," she said of the stately house featured on the cover of her 2010 book "Legendary Homes of Lake Minnetonka," with Karen Melvin. "It's the end of an era of saving historic homes."
"People are saddened," said Orono Mayor Denny Walsh. "It's an unusual property with a historic nature."
Walsh said he received a small number of e-mails and phone calls from residents and also observed "hundreds and hundreds of comments" on the Lake Minnetonka Fan Club Facebook page. The city had no choice but to issue the demolition permit, city officials said last week, because the house is a private property with no historic designation.
The buyer and his or her plans for the site remain a mystery. Listing agent Meredith Howell of Coldwell Banker Burnet declined to identify the buyer, citing a confidentiality agreement. Walsh has heard rumors but doesn't know who bought the property or what comes next.