NEW YORK — The man accused of setting a woman on fire inside a New York City subway told detectives, ‘’Oh, damn, that’s me,’’ when he saw video of the attack but said he couldn’t remember anything, according to a transcript released Tuesday.
The interview was made public shortly after Sebastian Zapeta, 33, entered a plea of not guilty on murder and arson charges in a Brooklyn court. Prosecutors say he set fire to Debrina Kawam, 57, aboard a stopped train in the early morning hours of Dec. 22, fanned the flames with a shirt and watched the woman burn from a subway bench.
Inside a Brooklyn precinct later that day, authorities described Zapeta as reacting with ''disgust'' and ''strangeness'' to the video, wiping his eyes and exclaiming in Spanish, ''Oh, my goodness,'' according to the transcript.
''I am very sorry. I didn't mean to,'' he then told detectives. "I don't know what happened, but I'm very sorry for that woman.''
He added that he had been drinking heavily throughout the night and fallen asleep on the subway, but did not remember what happened next.
Zapeta told police he is a Guatemalan citizen and entered the country illegally five years ago. Immigration authorities have said he was deported in 2018. He had been living in a Brooklyn shelter and working as a roofer.
He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole on the top charge.
During a brief arraignment Tuesday, Zapeta kept his gaze on the floor as his attorney entered a plea of not guilty, nodding his head slightly while a Spanish translator whispered in his ear.