Jonathan Irons, whose bid for freedom from a 50-year prison sentence was embraced and pushed by WNBA star Maya Moore, walked out of a Missouri penitentiary Wednesday, nearly four months after a judge overturned his conviction on charges of burglary and assault.
Irons, 40, an African American man convicted at age 18, was met by Moore and her family outside the Jefferson City Correctional Center, a maximum-security prison off a countryside thruway called No More Victims Road. Then Irons took his first steps into liberty as an adult.
It was the culmination of a yearslong effort by his supporters to win his freedom, a campaign that factored in a decision by Moore last year to forego playing in the WNBA at the peak of her success.
In March, a Missouri judge, Daniel Green, vacated Irons' 1998 conviction in what police said was a burglary and shooting at the home of Stanley Stotler, then 38, a white homeowner who lived alone in O'Fallon, a roughly 45-minute drive from downtown St. Louis. Both Stotler and his assailant were armed, and Stotler was shot twice.
Irons has insisted that he was not there and had been misidentified.
After hearing testimony and a profession of innocence from Irons, who was shackled in the courtroom, Green cited a series of problems with the way the case had been investigated and tried. He focused on a fingerprint report that had not been turned over to Irons' defense team. The print, found inside a door that would have been used to leave the house, belonged to neither Irons nor Stotler.
Irons' lawyers said the fingerprint would have supported their contention that someone else had committed the crime. Green agreed that the print would have given Irons' defense team "unassailable forensic evidence" to support his plea of innocence.
The case against Irons, Green wrote, was "very weak and circumstantial at best."
In the 3 1/2 months following Green's overturning of the conviction, lawyers for Attorney General Eric Schmitt of Missouri launched a pair of failed appeals, then were turned away by the state Supreme Court, which left the matter in the hands of Tim Lohmar, the lead prosecutor in St. Charles County, where the crime occurred. He had to decide whether to retry the case.
On Wednesday afternoon, Lohmar declined a retrial.