A 20-year-old Minneapolis man was sentenced to three years in prison Tuesday in connection with a Richfield school shooting last winter that killed a 15-year-old boy and injured another student.
Alfredo Rosario Solis, 20, was convicted of second-degree assault last month for the shooting that killed Jahmari Kei'Fee Rice outside South Education Center Academy on the afternoon of Feb. 1, 2022. A jury found him not guilty on five of the six felony counts he faced, including second-degree murder, attempted murder and first-degree assault. An accomplice, Fernando Valdez-Alvarez, will be on trial for murder in February.

Solis appeared before Hennepin County District Judge Paul Scoggin on Tuesday morning.
"Mr. Solis, you are a very lucky man," Scoggin said to a nearly empty courtroom aside from media and attorneys. "I suggest that you take that luck and run with it for the rest of your life."
His sentence was the mandatory minimum and restricts him from ever possessing a firearm. He has credit for already serving 11 months, said his attorney, Matthew Jaimet.
"My client admitted to his very limited involvement in this and just wants to put it behind him," Jaimet said.
On Dec. 7, when a jury came back with the verdicts after a weeklong trial, Solis had an intense confrontation with Rice's father, Cortez Rice, before sheriff deputies escorted him out of the courtroom.
Cortez Rice was in disbelief over the acquittal, calling it "absurd." He said that prosecutors had all the evidence to convict Solis.