After his team's 4-1 section loss to Centennial on Wednesday night, Maple Grove boys' hockey coach Gary Stefano gathered his team in the locker room and told them what he had known for more than a week: This loss would be his final game as the coach at Maple Grove.
"A lot of tears, a lot of hugs, a lot of 'Whys?'" said Stefano, the only head hockey coach in the school's 17 years of existence.
Stefano said he still can't answer the "Whys?" But then very few answers have been provided since Jan. 16, when he announced that 13 players from his 18-player varsity team had been suspended for between two and four games over an incident that occurred at a private home in mid-December. The incident ultimately -- apparently -- cost Stefano his job.
Apparently, because to date no one has said exactly what happened on that mid-December night, just as, Stefano said, no school official has spelled out why he received a letter of non-renewal for his coaching position on Feb. 19.
And all those unanswered questions led to rumors and to anger, and now to a firing of a successful coach who only one year earlier had led Maple Grove to its first state hockey tournament appearance.
"I don't want my son to learn this as a life lesson: For reasons we don't know, somebody loses their job," said John Passolt, whose son Josh is a sophomore on the team. "I think it's unfair to everyone involved."
School officials on Thursday confirmed only that Stefano, a 32-year coaching veteran, would not return next year. Administrators said they would have no comment beyond a brief written statement sent from Barb Olson, district spokesperson, which said:
"The district can confirm that Mr. Stefano will not return as head hockey coach next year. Maple Grove Senior High administrators are looking forward to hearing stakeholder perspectives as the school begins the process of hiring a new head hockey coach."