Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey unveiled earlier this week a "ban on no-knock search warrants" — but city police officers still can enter places without announcing their presence in some cases. The new policy, which takes effect Friday, comes nearly two months after a Minneapolis police officer killed Amir Locke, reigniting a national debate on the use of no-knock search warrants. Here's a rundown of what the new policy does — and doesn't — do.
What does this policy do?
The new policy prohibits Minneapolis police officers from applying for no-knock search warrants, which would allow them to enter a location without first knocking or announcing their presence. It also prohibits them from asking other agencies to "execute" a no-knock search warrant on their behalf, or executing them for other agencies.
Officers can still apply for "knock and announce" search warrants — which would generally require them to wait 20 seconds before entering a location during daylight hours and 30 seconds before entering during nighttime hours (between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m.). Those requirements, however, can be waived if there are "exigent circumstances." The city says officers may enter immediately "to prevent imminent harm or to provide emergency aid," to prevent "imminent destruction or removal of evidence" (except narcotics), to prevent "imminent escape of a suspect" or when in "hot pursuit."
Howie Padilla, a spokesperson for the Minneapolis Police Department, said officers will "rely on their experience, their training and their own observations" to determine if an instance meets the qualifications to warrant entering without announcing their presence. For example, he said, officers could enter immediately if they see something that indicates a person is in immediate danger or hear someone screaming for help. He said the chief sent officers information about the policy change on Tuesday.
What will this change mean for officers?
No-knock search warrants are still legal under Minnesota law — though state legislators are debating whether to change that. Interim Police Chief Amelia Huffman said in a statement earlier this week that she hopes the new policy will strengthen "our ability to mitigate the risk of harm to occupants and officers during searches and reflects our commitment to protecting lives."
Local activists say they will be watching closely to see whether the new policy restricts the number of times officers enter without announcing their presence, or whether it falls short, as they feel past restrictions have done.