The board of Mercado Central is demanding that Republican candidate for governor Scott Jensen remove images of the Latino marketplace from his campaign ads.
The campaign did not have permission to film a political ad inside the Minneapolis cultural mall, its board of directors said in a letter Wednesday to Jensen's campaign.
"It is troubling that a political campaign would blithely appropriate and exploit Mercado Central's iconic image without the minimum courtesy of consulting with the leadership or tenants of our cultural mall," the board wrote, asking Jensen's campaign to respond by Friday with confirmation that they had followed the board's request.
Attorneys for the Jensen campaign and Mercado Central are in touch and are working on "a mutually acceptable agreement," said Jensen spokesman Joel Hanson. He said he is hopeful they will be able to reach an agreement by Mercado Central's deadline and declined to comment further on the ads.
Located on E. Lake Street, Mercado Central's interior and exterior murals are protected by copyright law, and third-party use is not allowed, the board wrote in its letter. Mercado Central does not endorse any political candidate or party, it added.
"We trust that they will respond respectfully and take the action requested in the letter," said Miluska Novota, a pro-bono lawyer representing Mercado Central's board. "We want to keep this as respectful and nonpartisan as possible."
Jensen's campaign posted two campaign videos, in English and Spanish, on YouTube last week, with Mercado Central as the backdrop for part of the ads. The campaign announced Monday the ads would be airing on Telemundo and were aimed at bolstering support among Latino voters for the GOP candidate facing DFL Gov. Tim Walz in November. A third ad from earlier in September also briefly shows the marketplace.
"Today, we expand our reach to the Hispanic Community," Jensen's campaign said in its Monday announcement. "It is so critical to reach new voters and bring them into the big tent of our campaign, our movement. For too long, Tim Walz has taken for granted ALL Minnesotans."