Micky Dolenz is the last Monkee standing.
Like surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, Dolenz still performs under his own name presenting the songs his former band made famous.
Created for an eponymous NBC TV series in 1966, the hugely popular Monkees disbanded in 1970 but enjoyed an MTV-spurred comeback in 1986. Since then, they've undertaken sporadic tours (not always as a quartet) and released four new albums. Then death hit the pre-Fab Four: Davy Jones in 2012, Peter Tork in '19 and Michael Nesmith in '21, shortly after finishing a tour with Dolenz.
Now the billing is just "The Monkees Celebrated by Micky Dolenz."
"It's not a burden," said Dolenz, who will perform Saturday at the Pantages Theatre in Minneapolis. "I've toured as a solo artist for years and years. I'm not sure it's even a responsibility. It's just something that I do.
"When the audience is as enthusiastic as it always has been, that keeps you going, too. The job really is the travel for me. They pay me to travel and I sing for free. The shows are the easy part. That's why they call it playing."
For this tour, Dolenz is performing Monkees' hits as well as 1967's "Headquarters," their third album but the first on which the made-for-TV band actually wrote songs and played instruments in the studio instead of just singing.
"It's the 55th anniversary" of the album, Dolenz pointed out. "Michael Nesmith spearheaded the palace revolt. And we put our collective foot down and said, 'We want to make an album all by ourselves.' So we did. It was quite successful. It was on the charts for the best part of a year and it went to No. 1 only to be kicked out of No. 1 by [the Beatles'] 'Sgt Pepper.'"