A proposal that would relocate the Minneapolis Police Third Precinct to a rented building has run into trouble with the City Council, whose members are reluctant to create a new police station while the department remains largely unchanged since the killing of George Floyd.
A City Council committee Thursday voted to reject a $1.2 million-a-year lease on a warehouse about a half-mile north of the precinct. The vote was a significant blow to the proposal, which is still scheduled for consideration by another committee and the full City Council next week.
At the committee meeting, Council Member Jeremiah Ellison said he hadn't heard anyone speak in favor of the move, with surrounding neighbors seemingly shocked that the precinct could be relocated to the warehouse.
"I think that this is a failure of our priorities," Ellison said. "We asked that there be real, meaningful change when it comes to all decisions regarding public safety ... and yet we are very quick to rush to business as usual."
The precinct does need to find another home, he said, "but it's happening out of order."
After the Third Precinct was besieged and burned by protesters in the aftermath of Floyd's death, officers were stationed in several sites, including the Minneapolis Convention Center. City officials began searching for a temporary location for the precinct in June.
They negotiated a deal with the owners of a 78,500-square-foot warehouse at 2633 Minnehaha Av., recently home to Imagine Express, a commercial printing business. The arrangement would have the city take over the remainder of the company's lease, paying $1.2 million a year for the next three years with the potential to renew for an additional year.
A council committee had initially signed off on the lease last month, but the council then pulled back after neighbors complained.