A backlog of workers’ compensation claims by Minneapolis police officers appeared to have started flowing again.
A City Council committee on Monday overwhelmingly voted to settle claims totaling $1.3 million filed by 11 former police officers, including some who have faced allegations of misconduct.
Traditionally — and under Minnesota law — there’s little, if any, connection between a government employee’s medical claim to worker compensation funds and their conduct as an employee.
Last year, however, that was thrown into question in Minneapolis when a council committee denied a $145,000 post-traumatic stress disorder claim filed by former Sgt. Andrew Bittell, who was involved in the beating of Jaleel Stallings, an episode officers lied about until police video revealed the facts.
Several council members questioned whether claims by officers leaving the department — especially claims of PTSD by officers whose integrity had been questioned — should be borne by taxpayers. The change came as the number and cost of PTSD claims by officers leaving the department has risen, with claims typically costing between $100,000 and $200,000.
The moment caused consternation for city attorneys, who believed that the law didn’t allow a denial on such grounds and feared the final result would be higher costs for taxpayers.
Earlier this month, city attorneys, including outside lawyers specializing in worker compensation claims, briefed council members on the law.
In a nutshell, they told council members: By the time we bring these cases to you, you’ve got little choice. Any questions of whether an officer might be faking a medical condition, PTSD or otherwise, has likely been settled by medical experts recognized by courts for diagnosing patients, they said.