Candidates vying to become Minneapolis mayor criticize how incumbent Jacob Frey handled the historic week of civil unrest after police murdered George Floyd last year.
The top contenders each vow to restore peace more quickly if they are faced with a similar scenario if elected, but they offer divergent approaches on how to do it.
Four of Frey's 16 challengers who've raised the most money ahead of Tuesday's election — AJ Awed, Clint Conner, Kate Knuth and Sheila Nezhad — say Frey's response to the unrest is an example of the incumbent's failed leadership. Frey counters that the challenging experience makes him best equipped to respond to any future crises.
"These were unprecedented and unpredictable circumstances that I have led through," he said. "I have been tested and I certainly understand the dynamics of managing a crisis unlike … arguably any other mayor and certainly any of the challengers."
In 2020, hundreds of peaceful protesters filled the streets to call for accountability and prosecution of Minneapolis police. But some looters and arsonists also damaged more than 1,500 businesses, causing more than $500 million in damage, the second-costliest civil disturbance in U.S. history. A curfew was imposed and Gov. Tim Walz ordered in hundreds of National Guard troops.
Frey, who Walz endorsed in the campaign, said he'd do things differently if faced with future unrest, such as including fire and police chiefs at news conferences. But he also touted his response in 2020: immediately meeting with Black community leaders, firing the four officers and requesting the Guard after looting was reported.
Frey's challengers say they would lead the city through difficult times differently.
Awed, a court mediator, said he would join protesters to demonstrate against any police misconduct and help ensure protests stay peaceful by using the credibility he's established in the community to engage with residents.