North High School Principal Mauri Friestleben will maintain her position for at least another month after Minneapolis Public Schools had announced that Monday would be her last day with the school.
In a letter to parents and students on Sunday, the district shared that Friestleben "will continue as the North High School leader … in an effort to bring this school year to a successful close for North students." The district sent a similar note on Friday, stating Friestleben would be replaced for the remainder of the school year.
That decision was reversed over the weekend.
"We apologize for the difficulty this situation has caused the North community — and especially for our Polar students. Principal Friestleben will be welcoming students again at North on Monday," the letter said.
School board member Sharon El-Amin said the board of education was not informed of the decision to place Friestleben on leave until an hour before it went public. She said that normally a decision like that comes before the board to give final approval for termination.
El-Amin said she immediately took it upon herself to call administration "to stop something that's not fair or that seems to be extreme."
"How is it something like that, with such an amazing principal, that the board has no signs or anything about what's going to take place? When you have someone who has shown up and is doing amazing things within not only our schools, but our community? If something was that extreme for termination, we would have had some type of warning or … input to know that this was getting ready to even take place," she said, "and we had none."
Outrage flooded social media over the weekend after Friestleben shared that she had been terminated for joining students in a civil action in February in response to the death of Amir Locke. The 22-year old Black man was fatally shot by Minneapolis police during a predawn, no-knock raid. He was not the subject of the warrant.