The nine-member Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will have six new faces next year.
Final results announced Wednesday night revealed winners of the board's three at-large seats — incumbent Meg Forney and newcomers Latrisha Vetaw and Londel French.
None of the three hit the victory threshold of 25 percent of first-choice votes under the city's ranked-choice voting system. Forney had 23 percent, Vetaw 22 percent and French 15 percent before second- and third-voter choices from dropped candidates were exhausted.
The competition was fierce, and candidates backed by Our Revolution MN, a progressive political group, mounted an aggressive and well-organized campaign focused on issues such as racial equity, increasing diversity among Park Board staff and eliminating the use of pesticides in parks.
"The message of inclusivity carried the day in Park Board elections throughout the city," incumbent Brad Bourn said Wednesday, shortly after it was announced that he had been re-elected.
Bourn had been in a tight race against challenger Bob Fine that dragged into Wednesday night.
Voters seemed to say that they want the Park Board to play a bigger role in the lives of families and young people, Bourn said. That means making the Park Department a good place to work and parks across the city a better place for families, whether they're on the North Side or in Bourn's southwest Minneapolis district, he said.
"Southwest Minneapolis has been the beneficiary of a hundred years of disproportionate investment," Bourn said. "We need to do a better job of listening to members of our community who have felt marginalized interacting with Minneapolis parks."