The city of Minneapolis announced Friday it will shut down the city's largest homeless encampment — known as Camp Nenookaasi — on Thursday, following multiple delays of the closure.
In a news release, the city said it would close the south Minneapolis encampment due to "ongoing public safety and health concerns."
The camp was founded this summer on a plot of long-vacant city property at E. 23rd Street and 13th Avenue S., and it has since become the city's largest homeless village. It supported roughly 180 occupants at its height.
On Friday, the city placed a sign on a wooden board outside the camp's entrance informing its residents of the planned evictions. The sign reads "NO TRESPASSING" and says people need to vacate by Jan. 4. It also lists three shelter services and their phone numbers.
The city has moved back the closure date for the camp multiple times in the last month, with officials saying the city and its partners need more time to help its residents find housing solutions following the closure.
"All of our community members deserve safe and dignified housing," the city said in its release. "Encampments, especially in winter, do not provide that."
The camp was previously set to be dismantled on Dec. 19. But after the fatal shooting of a camp resident inside a tent on Dec. 12, the city put the closure on hold without providing a new date. The man killed was Tyrone J. Mohr, 45, known as "T-Bone."
In the Friday announcement, the city outlined its ongoing efforts to help residents find more permanent housing.