Minneapolis' new commissioner of public safety says he regrets the "tone" of his replies on social media to community members asking critical questions about his new policing strategy in downtown, responding to accusations of unprofessionalism from the evening tweetstorm.
"The way I engaged with constituents last night on Twitter did not meet the standards I hold for myself and the Office of Community Safety team," Cedric Alexander, who is two months on the job, said in a statement Friday.
"I care deeply about the success of our community safety work in Minneapolis, and I know building trust happens one interaction at a time. I regret the tone of my responses, and I'm committed to respectful, constructive engagement with the communities we serve."
Alexander's tweets began late afternoon Thursday after Amity Foster tagged him and Mayor Jacob Frey in a post questioning why the city had stationed nine empty police squad cars downtown on Nicollet Avenue.
"What does this endeavor to show?" Foster, a city resident, asked in a reference to "Operation Endeavor," a data-centric policing initiative Minneapolis introduced last month.
"It shows an effort to increase police visibility throughout downtown and across the city if you didn't see them you would complain about that wouldn't you," Alexander replied. "Enough of the two faced talking from both sides of your mouth already!"
"I understand that you're taking a lot of criticism around Op Endeavor," Foster replied. "But you came to Minneapolis where relationships between police and community are, at best, tense. Visibility on its own is not public safety; it just isn't."
To which Alexander said: "Actually you're wrong again. I'm not taking any criticism on operation endeavor quite the opposite … ask the residents in north Minneapolis in which I bet you don't live there."