Minnesota leaders revealed a $60.5 million settlement with Juul Labs over youth vaping Wednesday, one month after the deal ended a trial before it went to the jury.
The state won't see the entire amount. An estimated $8.6 million in litigation costs will be deducted, as well as an estimated $9 million in attorneys' fees. That will leave the state with about $43 million.
Attorney General Keith Ellison and Gov. Tim Walz say the settlement money is expected to go toward fighting tobacco use, vaping and smoking. The terms of the settlement weren't public until now.
"We're going to get out there and protect our kids," Ellison said at a State Capitol news conference surrounded by lawyers, advocates and politicians, some of whom also talked about the four-year fight to hold the e-cigarette manufacturer accountable for the resurgence of youth tobacco use that had been in retreat.
A spokesman for Ellison said the amount is more than the estimated $30 million the state would have received if it had settled before trial. The attorney general said the state recouped more than Juul saw in profits from vape sales, and going to trial was an important signal.
"It sends a message that you will not get away with this," Ellison said. "We will put you in front of a Minnesota jury and you can take your chances."
Before the emergence of vaping, Walz said Minnesota was within a decade or two of completely snuffing out youth tobacco use. But Juul's entry into the market with fruity flavors, fun ads and colorful designs erased all those gains that flowed from Minnesota's $6.5 billion settlement with Big Tobacco 25 years ago.
Because of the Juul settlement, the state has new tools. Juul cannot market to children and young adults, use models under age 35 or hand out product samples. The company is prohibited from sponsoring events, advertising outdoors or on social media or apparel.