Twin Cities musician David Haas, one of the best-known music composers in the Catholic Church nationally, has been accused of sexual misconduct toward multiple young women who studied with him over the years.
Composer, performer and teacher, Haas taught at Benilde-St. Margaret's school in St. Louis Park, was composer-in-residence at the St. Paul Seminary, and ran a Music Ministry Alive program for years at St. Catherine University. He's also traveled the nation and the world giving workshops and performing.
The stellar career ground to a halt earlier this year when a Kansas-based victim's advocacy group publicized several allegations of abuse of young women under his tutelage. The organization, called Into Account, notified a network of liturgical music groups about the allegations, and organizations such as the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis halted the use of his music at archdiocese events; longtime music publisher GIA Publications in Chicago suspended its ties. Haas has not been charged with any offense.
"Haas has allegedly targeted multiple women using techniques that abuse prevention experts identify as grooming to create conditions in which women felt obligated to perform sexual favors in exchange for professional opportunities," Into Account director Stephanie Krehbiel said in a letter to Catholic organizations.
"His generosity, we are told, often came with a sexual price tag," she said.
Haas, 63, director of the Emmaus Center for Music, Prayer and Ministry, initially denied the allegations in a statement, calling them "false, reckless and offensive."
But on July 9 he issued a written statement:
"I have come to realize that I have caused great harm to a variety of people," Haas said. "I make no excuses for any harm that I may have caused. I take responsibility for my behavior and I am truly sorry."