Even for a Tuesday, the latest daily COVID-19 counts of two deaths and 456 diagnosed infections reflected continued declines in pandemic activity in Minnesota.
Case counts have been lower on Tuesdays since the start of the pandemic, reflecting reduced testing and reporting on weekends. Still, this Tuesday's report is the lowest since Sept. 15 in the number of newly diagnosed infections with the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
The additions bring Minnesota's toll in the pandemic to 6,380 COVID-19 deaths and 474,621 diagnosed infections.
The trends are encouraging ahead of looming decisions by Gov. Tim Walz and Minnesota leaders on whether to continue business capacity restrictions to reduce viral spread, and the reopening of more schools to in-person classes.
The positivity rate of diagnostic testing has dropped to 3.8% in Minnesota, below the caution threshold of 5% that suggests uncontrolled spread of the virus. The number of Minnesota hospital intensive care beds filled with COVID-19 patients is down to 57, well below the peak of 399 on Dec. 1.
However, health officials have cautioned that the progress could be upset by new, more infectious variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that are emerging in the United States.
State infectious disease director Kris Ehresmann on Tuesday said that Minnesota has encountered 40 COVID-19 cases involving the B.1.1.7 variant first found in the United Kingdom. Minnesota also has seen two of only three verified infections in the U.S. so far with the P.1 variant first identified in Brazil, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Ehresmann said mask-wearing in public and social distancing will remain critical protections against any resurgence of the pandemic.