Minnesota fishery managers and commercial boats will spend much more time on the water this year hunting down and fishing out invasive carp whose populations seem set to explode in the Mississippi River.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources updated its carp plan Thursday for the first time in a decade. The strategy is more aggressive in the way the state will track, monitor and remove the silver, bighead and grass carp already in Minnesota waters.
But the plan calls for more study before installing permanent light, sound and bubble barriers at two lock and dam structures in the river, a measure proposed by university scientists and river advocates. Lawmakers considered the proposal last year, but they decided against funding it as they waited for the DNR to update its overall carp strategy.
Studies led by Peter Sorensen, a professor and carp expert at the University of Minnesota, show the deterrents would be particularly effective at Lock and Dam 4 and Lock and Dam 5, which are about 10 miles north of Winona. The barriers would deter carp from following barges and other watercraft through the lock. Lawmakers gave the DNR $1.7 million last year, with part of the money meant to study the deterrent.
Heidi Wolf, a DNR section manager, said the agency has talked with the Army Corps of Engineers, the owner of the structures, about what it would take to install the deterrents.
"It would need several levels of environmental review," she said.
Under the plan, the DNR said it will continue to study the deterrent over the next four years.
That's not quick enough, said Colleen O'Connor Toberman, land use and planning director for the advocacy group Friends of the Mississippi River.