Despite an alarming surge in coronavirus cases, Gov. Tim Walz's administration is rolling back a heart-wrenching policy that has prevented families from visiting their loved ones in nursing homes and assisted-living facilities during the pandemic.
The Minnesota Department of Health issued new guidelines Monday that allow indoor visits at most senior homes that have not had new COVID-19 infections in the preceding two weeks and the infection rate in the surrounding county is no more than 10%. But the state recommends that long-term care facilities limit how many visitors a resident can have at one time, as well as the duration of indoor visits.
The guidance was issued in response to a new federal policy and significantly eases restrictions in place since March, when nursing homes and assisted-living complexes across the state shut down and barred family visits in an attempt to protect older residents who are particularly vulnerable to the respiratory infection. As the pandemic wore on, advocates for residents and their families have been clamoring for an end to the lockdown, noting that many elderly residents have suffered anxiety and depression as well as physical decline since the ban was imposed.
In Minnesota and across much of the nation, the seven-month lockdown has turned many senior homes into small fortresses, with only staff and essential caregivers allowed inside. For months, many anguished residents have only been able to talk to their relatives via remote video feeds or through cracks in windows. Such limited interactions have failed to ease the anxiety of many who suffered from dementia, or those who simply wanted to hug or kiss their relatives, say eldercare advocates.
"We are really looking to make sure that we do everything that we can to have the residents and families be able to connect with one another," said Lindsey Krueger, director of the Department of Health's Office of Health Facility Complaints. "Facilities without recent cases in areas with low or medium-level community transmission must allow visitation, unless they have a reasonable or clinical safety cause not to," such as a staffing crisis, Krueger said.
But the lifting of the lockdown poses fresh challenges for many of Minnesota's 2,100 long-term care facilities, which are struggling to keep the virus at bay amid a troubling increase in cases across the region. The number of facilities with at least one confirmed infection in a resident or worker in the past 28 days has surged from 239 on Sept. 1 to more than 340 now, state health officials said Friday. Across the state, providers said they are still struggling with staffing shortages and limited supplies of personal protective equipment. Allowing more visitors inside the facilities could strain those resources, providers say.
With cases rising, public health experts fear a repeat of the desperate scenes this spring, when dangerous clusters of cases overwhelmed senior homes across the state and some residents had to be moved to hospitals. Last weekend, members of the National Guard stepped in to help contain an outbreak at a small nursing home, Sacred Heart Care Center, in Austin, according to the facility's website.
More rapid testing and stricter isolation measures have reduced fatalities in long-term care communities since their peak in May, but these congregate facilities are still particularly vulnerable to a resurgence. Residents live in close quarters and often have other health conditions, such as heart disease or diabetes, that make them susceptible to the virus. So far, long-term care facilities account for 71% of the 2,144 deaths from the virus in Minnesota.