For federal prosecutors, Sean Meadows is the poster child of investment advisers gone bad and the reason to step up investigations in this area.
In the Meadows case, the U.S. attorney's office is seeking a hefty 30-year prison sentence for his role in a seven-year, $10 million fraud in which he took client funds to support an opulent lifestyle that included gambling junkets to Las Vegas.
"Meadows utterly devastated his victims," the government said in a memo supporting its 30-year recommendation. "The defendant knew their vulnerabilities, their struggles, their dreams. … He knew that in stealing their money, he was stealing their futures, futures they had worked their entire lives to build, and leaving them in a far diminished state, many near destitution."
On Wednesday, regulators and law enforcement cited the Meadows case several times while announcing the establishment of a special task force to investigate and prosecute instances of investment adviser fraud. Meadows pleaded guilty in December.
"The harm of investment adviser fraud is startling and devastating," said U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger.
The task force includes the U.S. attorney's office for Minnesota, the Minnesota Commerce Department, the Securities and Exchange Commission, Internal Revenue Service, FBI and the inspection arm of the U.S. Postal Service.
"We're looking for another way to tackle this problem, to get onto fraud earlier with novel ways," Luger said.
Federal authorities prosecuted 14 investment adviser fraud cases last year, triple the number from each of the previous two years.