Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz says he’s told state agencies to start planning as if all of their federal funding will be cut.
“They’re happening so fast and without any lead into it,” Walz said. “I’m telling my team to assume, if you’ve got a federal grant for a critical program, to assume it’s being cut and start planning for different scenarios.”
Walz’s comment came one day after the state Department of Health laid off 170 employees and rescinded job offers for nearly 20 others. The jobs were connected to more than $220 million in federal grants that were canceled by the Trump administration.
The Health Department said an estimated 300 layoff, separation or “at risk” notices were sent to employees this week.
“I think they’re just getting warmed up,” Walz said of the Trump administration Wednesday after meeting with legislative leaders. “I fully expect, as they continue to flout the rule of law, there will be cuts in areas that we are required to provide services to.”
The Trump administration last week announced $11 billion in cuts to federal public health grants involving COVID-19, though many of the grants funded broader public health efforts. Led by Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, a coalition of state attorneys general has sued to overturn the cuts, and a federal judge ruled Friday to temporarily block the move.
Brooke Cunningham, commissioner of the state health department, said the ruling was a “bright spot amidst what have been some very dark days in public health,” but said the “future is not yet certain.”
“We will once again have to take some time to figure out what this fully means for the critical services we provide, our community partners, and most importantly, the staff that have received layoff notices,” she said in a statement. “A temporary restraining order does not guarantee immediate access to federal funds, and there will be additional hearings, so we must continue to monitor and assess the situation.”