A mere nine days ago, Gov. Tim Walz faced a united Republican front intent on blocking the first-term DFL governor's top legislative priorities — and the specter of a government shutdown if he couldn't get his first budget passed by July 1.
With the $48 billion, two-year budget soon to arrive on his desk, many of Walz's priorities were left out: No bump in the gas tax for roads, no sales tax hike for metro transit, no paid family leave and a school funding increase that will maintain the status quo but not much else.
Walz's response?
Lock arms with the opposition and call it a win.
"I'm very proud to be able to stand here and bring in a budget deal standing alongside the Republican majority leader, delivering things that I think make Minnesota better," he said in an interview, referring to Sen. Paul Gazelka, the GOP's point man in the budget talks.
People around the State Capitol, including Republicans who tried to thwart Walz's election last year, credit him with an agile bit of statecraft, even if it took a special session to wrap up the budget. He fought to a draw and transformed the deal — and his first legislative session — into a victory.
"He campaigned on finding common ground, and in the end they accomplished that and he deserves credit," said Doug Loon, president of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, which opposed much of Walz's agenda and is one of the GOP's most stalwart supporters come election time.
Rarely does an elected official win kudos from the likes of both Loon and JaNae' Bates, a minister and spokeswoman for Isaiah, a progressive faith group. "Walz has been fighting hard for Minnesota families," she said.