The Minnesota National Guard has no plans to arm soldiers and airmen whose regular duties are not security-related, a Guard spokesman said Monday.
But even before the shootings in Chattanooga, Tenn., illustrated potential security concerns for recruiting centers and other military facilities, the Minnesota National Guard had begun a comprehensive review of how prepared it might be for a possible attack.
The question of security for state National Guard facilities arose after the governors of Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Florida and Indiana authorized the arming of full-time National Guard members to deter attacks and allow them to protect themselves and civilians in case they are targeted.
The orders were made last week in response to the deadly rampage in Chattanooga, in which Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez launched an attack against a storefront recruiting center and reserve station and killed four Marines.
A Navy sailor injured in the attack died Saturday.
Gov. Mark Dayton said he won't order any immediate upgrades to security at Minnesota National Guard recruiting stations or other facilities in the wake of the Chattanooga shootings.
But Dayton said the topic is likely to be the subject of discussion this week when a group of governors, including Dayton, meets in Washington to advise the Guard on a number of issues.
In response to questions from reporters following a morning event, Dayton said the issue of strengthening security for state Guard installations is more of a federal issue for Congress and the president.