A Minnesota legislator announced this week that he wants to toughen penalties for distracted drivers who are involved in fatal or serious car accidents.
Sen. David Osmek, R-Mound, announced Thursday that he wants drivers who cause injury or death in crashes triggered by distractions to face jail time and pay fines similar to if they were charged with driving under the influence.
"This problem continues to seem like it grows," Osmek said Friday. This would "get people to pay for the damage they are doing to society and to other people's families."
As distracted driving citations climb in the state, legislators on both sides of the aisle are reviving the debate to strengthen these types of laws.
According to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, last year 7,357 drivers were cited for texting and driving, nearly a 23 percent increase from 2016. Distracted driving is now the fourth-leading cause of crashes causing serious injuries or death, behind speeding, lack of seat belts and drunken driving.
Efforts to toughen the state's distracted driving laws by making Minnesota the 17th state to forbid drivers from using handheld phones and electronic devices stalled in the Legislature this year, but that's not deterring some lawmakers.
In October, Attorney General Lori Swanson proposed several measures to toughen distracted driving laws in the state, including requiring hands-free cellphone use while driving, increasing penalties for texting while driving and suspending driver's licenses of repeat offenders.
"We need to change the culture around distracted driving and make it not be OK for people to do this," Swanson said in the October news release. "We should apply some of the successful drunken driving reform measures to distracted driving, which has become an epidemic on the roads."