For music festivals that already were banking on it, the state's rollback on COVID-19 capacity limits and mask mandates means their events can go on as planned.
For music venues and promoters of smaller concerts, it's time to start planning.
As of this weekend, the new rules announced Thursday by Gov. Tim Walz lifted the 10,000-person limit on audiences for such outdoor events as Twins games and festivals. On May 28, indoor venues such as clubs, theaters, bars and restaurants also will be free to operate at full capacity, and with no mandatory early closing time.
Mask mandates, too, will be eliminated by July 1 — or sooner, if 70% of Minnesota's population is vaccinated.
This is the news organizers of We Fest in Detroit Lakes were banking on. Typically Minnesota's biggest music festival, it had already planned to take 2020 off even before the pandemic, following a change in ownership.
But in January it announced that Blake Shelton, Dierks Bentley and Florida Georgia Line would headline its Aug. 5-7 return, in the expectation that audience limits for outdoor events would be scaled back by then.
A limit of 10,000 would have been "a nonstarter," likely leading to a cancellation, they said.
"We're feeling hopeful about moving forward and getting our staff and crew of 1,000-plus back to work," said Matt Mithun, owner of We Fest's host facility Soo Pass Ranch, and co-organizer of the annual country music event with concert promoter Live Nation.