State law enforcement leaders are asking Minnesotans to avoid the State Capitol in the days ahead of the Jan. 20 presidential inauguration as authorities brace for possible violent protests in St. Paul and around the country.
Thursday's statement by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety shortly followed reports that the entire National Mall would be closed for Inauguration Day in Washington, D.C. State officials have not announced similar measures for Minnesota's Capitol complex, saying that it "remains a safe place."
But Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington on Thursday, "out of an abundance of caution," asked those who don't have a "planned activity or business" on site to consider visiting another time.
"We will continue to track and monitor reports of any individuals or groups that are not interested in a peaceful expression of their First Amendment rights so we can respond accordingly," Harrington said. "We have been working with our law enforcement partners to develop a coordinated and comprehensive plan to guard the Capitol and protect state employees, visitors and peaceful protesters from harm."
State and federal law enforcement are monitoring reports of possible violent protests Sunday at state capitols around the country. An FBI bulletin dated last month that surfaced this week warned of the possibility that armed Boogaloo Bois extremists prepared to use violence at demonstrations in Minnesota and Michigan on Sunday.
On Thursday, the Department of Public Safety previewed a heightened security presence at the Capitol in the coming days with State Patrol troopers, conservation officers and National Guard soldiers visible. Authorities also plan to restrict travel near the Capitol, the department said. While foot traffic will still be allowed, motor vehicle traffic will be limited to state employees, contractors "and those with official state business."
The department is also relying on a fence erected around the Capitol last year — initially to respond to the civil unrest that followed George Floyd's killing in Minneapolis. In an interview this week, Harrington credited the barrier with protecting the Capitol and those inside during a Jan. 6 Storm the Capitol rally that attracted about 500 protesters.
The only permitted events thus far for this weekend are a pair of gatherings planned by the same organizer behind the Storm the Capitol rally. Becky Strohmeier, a conservative activist from Bloomington who leads the Hold the Line MN group, has been approved to hold a "Freedom Fest" event Saturday at which she said 150 are expected to attend. The next day, Strohmeier plans to lead a "Sunday Church Service" that she described as "invite only" and involving about 20 people.