Minnesota's new budget forecast is not as dark as had been predicted, thanks to a temporary boost from federal stimulus dollars. But look deeper and there are still plenty of worries ahead, virtually guaranteeing hard times for Minnesotans and hard-edged conflict at the State Capitol as leaders attempt to climb out of the deepest fiscal valley in generations.
"We're in the worst recession in the post-war era," said state economist Tom Stinson.
The state's projected budget deficit for fiscal 2010-11 is $4.57 billion, a figure that would be higher if not tempered by a $1.3 billion infusion of federal cash.
Even so, little seems to slow the global economic crisis that has Minnesota in its grip and is projected to cost it another 70,000 jobs in the coming year. Before it's over, Minnesota's job losses could reach 120,000 -- equal to three years' worth of typical job growth -- according to the state's national forecaster, Global Insight Inc.
Unemployment, already at 7.6 percent in Minnesota and nationally, could gallop to 9.4 percent this year and double digits "would not be a surprise," Stinson said.
Tom Hanson, commissioner of Minnesota Management and Budget, said that Tuesday's good news was that the federal cushion offset even deeper deficits. "The bad news is the economy continues to deteriorate," Hanson said. So steep has the slide been that Minnesota lost another $1 billion in projected revenue since the last forecast in November.
Stinson said business receipts across a broad swath of industries are expected to head downward. "Not profits," he noted, "but money across the countertop." The recession will be longer and deeper than expected, Stinson said, and might even require a second stimulus package from a federal government already exploring the outer limits of debt.
Collision on taxes