The jobs recovery in Minnesota retreated last month even before new restrictions on restaurants, bars and gyms took effect.
The state lost 12,600 jobs in November, according to data released Thursday by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED).
Job growth had been slowing in recent months after having bigger bouncebacks earlier in the summer. But November was the first month since April when more jobs disappeared than were added.
Those losses also erased most of the state's job gains from October.
The report was based on a survey taken the second week of November, a week before Gov. Tim Walz for a second time halted indoor service at many businesses to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
"There was probably some anticipatory factors of not only dial-backs but also just increased spread of the virus that led to a decrease in consumer confidence and activity," said Steve Grove, DEED commissioner.
He added that the impact of the latest round of business restrictions, which has contributed to the recent spike in new unemployment applications, will be reflected in next month's jobs report, which is likely to show even more economic pain.
"I think the big picture here is that our recovery is not going to be linear," Grove said.