The ranks of health care workers available to provide critical care for frail and older adults have plunged to dangerously low levels at senior homes across the state — undercutting efforts to keep seniors safe as the coronavirus surges in Minnesota.
A rash of new outbreaks has strained already short-staffed nursing homes and assisted-living facilities and is forcing a growing number of providers to reach out to the state for emergency assistance. In a troubling repeat of the early outbreaks this spring, some senior homes report that up to 20% of their staff are either out sick from COVID-19 or are quarantining at home because they were exposed to someone with the virus.
The chief culprit is the rampant community spread of the virus. Even though facilities have imposed strict limits on family visits and employed more aggressive testing, they continue to be overwhelmed by a surge of infections in the communities that surround them. Between October and the end of November, the number of new COVID-19 cases in Minnesota's long-term care facilities soared by more than 400% — the biggest two-month spike in cases since April, state health officials said. So far, 67% of the 3,845 COVID-19 deaths have occurred in long-term care communities, state records show.
Minnesota's 2,100 senior care homes are better prepared to deal with the virus than they were nine months ago, but improvements in testing and infection-control protocols are being threatened by staffing problems, facility administrators and public health experts say.
Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm said Friday that 57 long-term care facilities have "some degree of staffing crisis" and are receiving support from the state, including help from federal health nurses. Last week, the agency reported that 90% of Minnesota's nursing homes and 58% of the state's assisted-living facilities have active virus outbreaks. That includes more than 70 senior care homes that didn't have any residents with COVID-19 one month ago.
"We are unfortunately seeing the effects of community spread in these facilities that care for our most vulnerable Minnesotans," Malcolm said in a Friday briefing. "Unfortunately, even the strongest flood walls aren't sufficient if the waters rise high enough."
At some places, the pool of nursing assistants and other caregivers has become so depleted that facilities have reached out to the Minnesota National Guard. Since the start of the pandemic, the Minnesota National Guard has dispatched teams of medical professionals to 17 long-term care facilities with severe staffing shortages. The National Guard has personnel at six long-term care sites across the state.
"Not one of our soldiers or airmen envisioned themselves performing care in a long-term care facility when they voluntarily [raised] their hand and joined the Minnesota National Guard," said Major Gen. Shawn Manke of the National Guard. "I wholeheartedly wish we did not have to do this mission, but the fact of the matter is, we are."