Minnesota may soon have a new set of social studies standards, marking the end of a three-year process that included a contentious debate over adding an ethnic studies component to the way public school students learn about history.
If an administrative law judge approves the Minnesota Department of Education’s proposed standards, they’ll be implemented starting in the fall of 2026. In a letter explaining the agency’s approach to updating the standards, Education Commissioner Willie Jett said the new requirements streamline the way educators tackle social studies and allow students to focus more on mastering concepts while leaving teachers the room to include diverse perspectives in their lessons.
“The standards build on 30 years of research that supports enhancing student engagement and better preparing students for career, college, and civic life by teaching disciplinary inquiry skills,” Jett wrote to the judge.
But the proposed standards have faced criticism over the last few years. Here are three things to know before a potential final ruling:
Controversy over ethnic studies
The Office of Administrative Hearings will wrap up a second round of public comment with hearings on Wednesday and Thursday.
Several comments on the proposed standards so far take issue with the inclusion of ethnic studies, echoing Republican concerns that it amounts to an overreach by the Department of Education.
State law explicitly states that Minnesota’s social studies standards should address the topics of citizenship and government, geography, history and economics. Last year, House Republicans asked Administrative Law Judge Eric Lipman to require the state Department of Education to rewrite the proposed standards so that they cover only those core topics.
“We are just asking these questions to make sure that the new standards comply with state statute,” former Rep. Sondra Erickson, R-Princeton, said at the time.