A state task force on Monday approved more than 100 reforms that, if fully implemented, would represent a complete overhaul of how Minnesota protects children from abuse and neglect.
The task force urged counties and the state to spend more on child protection, to hire more social workers and improve their training. Those workers need to open more cases, gather more information about families and provide better services, the task force said. In addition, child protection agencies and the state need to be more transparent so that the public knows whether the proposed reforms are succeeding.
Gov. Mark Dayton formed the task force in September following the Star Tribune's reporting on child protection failures, including how Pope County handled the case of Eric Dean. The 4-year-old's caregivers reported suspected maltreatment at least 15 times, including when he had bite marks on his face and bruises all over his body. Pope County child protection workers investigated only one of the reports before the boy was murdered by his stepmother in 2013.
"Let's pray that the little children like Eric Dean who had to suffer so terribly will see from up above some measure of justice that will result from their terror, and prevent that from happening to other Eric Deans in the months and years ahead," Dayton said after the task force vote.
The governor has already signed the task force's first two recommendations. The first made the safety of a child the "paramount concern" ahead of preserving the family. The second allows child protection workers to consider previously rejected reports when deciding how to respond to a new one.
The most contentious issue for the task force involved an alternative child protection response known as family assessment, where social workers do not determine whether a child was maltreated and who was responsible. The task force made clear that high-risk abuse reports should never be funneled to family assessment. That would be a sweeping reversal of Minnesota's current practice.
In the long term, the task force wants to phase out that two-track system in Minnesota, making it so that in all cases facts are gathered about whether a child was abused.
"These reforms are a paradigm shift," said Lucinda Jesson, commissioner of the state Department of Human Services, which supervises child protection. "That paradigm shift will impact, at the end of the day, I think, all of the different parts of our child protection system."