The mother of Travis Jordan, a man shot dead by Minneapolis police during a mental health episode in 2018, has sued the city and the two officers involved, saying that they should have done more to prevent the fatal outcome.
Florine Ching argued that officers Neal Walsh and Ryan Keyes didn't try to de-escalate the situation and that they should have waited for another officer with a Taser to arrive before the shooting that claimed her son's life. Ching's suit, which seeks unspecified damages, was filed in U.S. District Court on Monday — nearly three years to the day of Jordan's death.
When reached on Wednesday, Ching's attorney, Paul Bosman, declined to comment on the suit. But in a lengthy post on his public Facebook page, he wrote that the case illustrates the need for police to examine their policies on deadly force and the handling of mental health calls.
"[A] plea to cops: If you respond to a call with a possibly suicidal person who throws a note out before walking toward you with a knife at his side, that person is probably not trying to kill you, but trying to get you to kill him. Don't let him win. Find a way to get him help instead," he wrote.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman declined to file charges, saying at the time that based on his review of the evidence Jordan "presented a real danger to the officers."
The City Attorney's Office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment through a spokesman on Wednesday, and Minneapolis police spokesman Garrett Parten said that the department doesn't comment on pending litigation.
The lawsuit says that on the afternoon of Nov. 9, 2018, Jordan sent his girlfriend a music video about suicide and said he was "thinking of doing this at my mother's house" in Waseca, Minn. Concerned because Jordan had previously suffered from bouts of anxiety and manic depression after a previous accident, Vang first called a health care professional she knew for advice and then called 311, the suit says. She was later transferred to a 911 dispatcher and asked that someone go over to check on Jordan, 36, who was home alone.
Keyes and Walsh responded to the call and had a brief exchange with Jordan, who eventually came out of the house in the 3700 block of N. Morgan Avenue. He was armed with a 13½-inch Chefmate knife and refused orders to drop the weapon, the filings said.