The legal saga of a Minneapolis man who didn't tell several men that he was HIV-positive when he had unprotected sex with them ended Wednesday, four years after court battles that eventually led the Minnesota Supreme Court to overturn a jury conviction.
Daniel J. Rick, 33, pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted first-degree assault/knowing transfer of a communicable disease, according to Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman. As part of the plea agreement, two similar cases were dropped.
Rick was sentenced to 3 years' probation, but will be on probation for a total of 15 years as part of a sentence in another case.
His legal issues drew national attention when he was convicted in 2011 of attempted first-degree assault after several sexual encounters with a man who eventually tested positive for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. The man testified that Rick, who tested positive for HIV in 2006, never told him about his HIV status. It is believed to be the first such case to go to trial in Minnesota.
Last year, the state Supreme Court overturned that conviction. The other cases against Rick that were resolved Wednesday had been on hold while he was appealing.
The county attorney's office declined to retry Rick on the case overturned by the Supreme Court, and the charges in another case of transferring a communicable disease were dropped as part of the plea agreement.
Freeman declined to comment on the agreement.
Rick also declined to comment, but his attorney, Landon Ascheman, said, "Daniel is happy he put this behind him and it's all taken care of."