The foreclosure auction for Minnesota's largest hotel, the Hilton Minneapolis, has been rescheduled for March 10, even as business approaches pre-pandemic levels.
The Hilton is at the center of a foreclosure case stretching back more than two years. The hotel owners stopped making monthly payments in April 2020 as bookings evaporated at the start of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Wells Fargo Bank, the trustee for JPMorgan Chase , which provided a $180 million loan to investors in 2018, sued in October 2020 over the loan default.
Hilton's fate is viewed by some as a proxy for the future of downtown Minneapolis. The pandemic crushed many businesses, and those that hung on are waiting for a return of vibrancy.
There are some indicators that people — and activities — are returning to the urban core. Doug Greene, a member of the investment group that owns the hotel, said he expects this year's revenue will match 2018 after a several-year slump.
According to receiver reports in the court filings, the Hilton had $44.4 million in revenue and turned a profit in 2022. That's up significantly from its 2021 revenue of $12.2 million. The Hilton's best year was 2019 when it pulled in $63 million in revenue, Greene said.
Court documents show $14.2 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization — a measure of profitability — last year.
Greene said the Hilton's large size makes it expensive to operate under any conditions. But there's another major hurdle.