Minnesota lawmakers will have more money available this year than previously expected as officials on Thursday projected a $3.7 billion state budget surplus.
That’s an increase of $1.3 billion from projections in December, driven by higher-than-anticipated tax collections over the past few months as spending estimates remained mostly unchanged. Minnesota also has about $2.9 billion in its rainy day fund.
“Our economy is humming along,” DFL Gov. Tim Walz said Thursday, touting the Legislature’s spending last year on a free school meals program, a child tax credit and a sizeable infrastructure bill. “The forecast doesn’t change our focus for this session. We’re focused on implementation and infrastructure.”
Last spring, Minnesota lawmakers passed a two-year $70.5 billion budget and spent nearly all of a $17.5 billion surplus. The main job for lawmakers this year is passing a package of construction projects in a bonding bill, but individual DFL lawmakers have already pitched some new spending on child care, schools and other priorities.
While the state’s surplus has improved, officials urge caution. A potential shortfall of about $1.5 billion could occur in the coming years if lawmakers don’t leave some of the surplus on the bottom line.
“If they spend more than $2.2 billion, it would then be projected to dip into the negative,” said Minnesota Management and Budget Commissioner Erin Campbell.
The imbalance has shrunk since the most recent forecast in December. That report showed a $2.4 billion surplus this year, followed by a deficit of nearly equal size in the next budget if the surplus wasn’t left completely intact.
Republican legislative leaders were less optimistic about Thursday’s surplus news. They said Minnesota remains at risk of a deficit in the near future.