The state's budget outlook crumbled from a $1.5 billion surplus to a projected $2.4 billion deficit in just two months, as the COVID-19 pandemic eats up tax revenue and Minnesota leaders accelerate spending to respond.
Tuesday's budget projection is the first estimate of just how deep a financial hole Minnesota could face. Budget officials predicted state revenue would be $3.6 billion less than anticipated and spending would be $391 million higher, including additional money the Legislature approved since February.
"The shock to the U.S. economy from the pandemic is unprecedented in modern postwar history, and the economic outlook is exceptionally uncertain and volatile," said state economist Laura Kalambokidis.
Budget officials typically give projections only in February and November, but the fast-spreading coronavirus prompted an unusual update. The latest numbers will guide lawmakers' decisions in the final couple of weeks of this legislative session, which is scheduled to end May 18 — and during a special session that Gov. Tim Walz said likely will follow.
The projection also allows Minnesota to draw money from the state's budget reserves.
It follows a string of strong budget forecasts and one of the longest periods of continuous economic growth in the nation's history. During the Great Recession, Minnesota experienced worse deficit projections. When former Gov. Mark Dayton took office in 2011, he had to contend with a looming $6.2 billion deficit.
Since then, Minnesota has built its budget reserves, amassing nearly $2.4 billion in a rainy-day fund and an additional $350 million in a cash flow account that can be used to offset revenue shortages.
"Today is a rainy day, unfortunately," Management and Budget Commissioner Myron Frans said Tuesday. He cautioned against relying solely on the reserves to close the gap, given the likelihood of continued declines in revenue and uncertainty about the economic toll of the coronavirus.