NEW YORK — New York Gov. Kathy Hochul halted a plan to charge most motorists $15 to enter the core of Manhattan, upending the nation's first ''congestion pricing'' system on Wednesday just weeks before it was set to launch.
The announcement dealt a stunning blow to a program, years in the making, that was intended to raise billions of dollars for New York's beleaguered subways and commuter rails while reducing emissions and gridlock on the city's streets.
In a pre-recorded video statement, Hochul, a Democrat, said she had arrived at the ''difficult decision that implementing the planned congestion pricing system risks too many unintended consequences at this time.''
She cited New York's fragile economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the financial burden that the toll would pose on state residents struggling with inflation, as reasons to ''indefinitely pause the program.''
''A $15 charge might not seem like a lot to someone who has the means but it can break the budget of a hardworking or middle class household,'' Hochul said. ''It puts the squeeze on the very people who make this city go.''
The program was scheduled to begin on June 30, five years after it was first signed into law by the former Gov. Andrew Cuomo and more than a decade after it was first proposed. It had divided many in the region, pitting drivers against those who rely on the city's public transit system.
Until Wednesday, Hochul had been one of the plan's staunchest backers, describing the ''transformative'' impact it would have on the climate and the city's transit services as recently as two weeks ago.
The abrupt reversal sent shockwaves through New York's political circles, while raising questions among transportation advocates about how the state would pay for badly needed transit upgrades previously slated to be funded by the toll revenue.